Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Planning to fail? Didn't think so!

You know the saying "failing to plan is planning to fail". Not over here with Team Fit With It!!

Before Toni and I started our personal training sessions, we had to provide our trainer with our short-term and long-term goals. I came up with mine and posted them at my desk (on pretty paper) as a daily reminder. It helps me to stay focused. To take it a bit further, every week he also asks us, what our goals are for the week. With that simple question, it has me focus on what I'm trying to achieve and how to get there.

Creating SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-based) goals for yourself, they are realistic and help keep you focused on achieving them. For example, 1 of my long-term goals is to run a 5k (3.1 miles) non-stop. In order to achieve that goal, I created a plan for it. This week is to consistently run 3 times no less 1/2 mile non-stop. My focus isn't on time, but on endurance. So if I need to lower my speed to achieve my 1/2 mile, I will do so. SMART goals are easier to achieve and by achieving those smaller goals it gives you more motivation to keep going towards the larger goal.

I will let you know how I do with my running progress. Let me know what you are focused on and what goals you will make in order to achieve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment